We looked at the reviews on car rental in Cyprus and compiled a brief guide on how to rent a vehicle profitably and safely. You will learn how to rent a car in Cyprus, where to do it and how to save money.
Where is the best place to rent a car in Cyprus
You can rent a car in advance or on site at the airport. Here cars are rented by private traders and rental companies. It seems to many that the first rental option will be cheaper. In fact, the price tag from private owners is often higher than on popular rental sites.
Adequate conditions and cost of car rental in Cyprus from Rentalcars and Localrent services.
The company is the largest rental service. It has more than 60,000 rental locations around the world. The company cooperates with Avis, Hertz, Budget, Europcar and other companies. There is a decent level of service, cars are always in excellent condition. The support service works in Russian.
There are no hidden fees and most bookings can be canceled free of charge. The price range is wide: you can choose a budget car or a luxury one. Using the search form, you can compare how much it costs to rent a car in Cyprus from different companies. The advance payment depends on the distributor, the deposit is about 500 €. When purchasing additional insurance, you can reduce the deposit to 300 €.
Of the minuses: you can only choose a class of car, but not a specific model. Payment of rent and deposit is possible only by credit card. The deposit is “frozen” on the card and becomes available not immediately after the delivery of the car, but after some time.
These are local distributors. The service cooperates directly only with official firms. You can choose a specific brand of machine.
The site has a convenient search, you can compare prices from different distributors and choose where it is better to rent a car in Cyprus. Insurance and taxes are already included in the rental. To book a car, you need to make an advance of 15%, and pay the balance upon receipt. Some cars can be canceled free of charge with a full refund of the prepayment.
One day of car rental costs 20.06-38.4 € (depending on the month). The minimum deposit amount is 50 €. Some cars are issued without it at all. This service allows you to rent a car in Cyprus without a credit card. You can pay by debit card or cash.
How to rent a car in Cyprus
You will need to present your passport and driver’s license. Not necessarily international, ordinary national ones with Latin letters will do. Driving experience must be at least 3 years.
An important point is the age of the driver. You must be at least 25 years of age. Some car rental companies also rent cars to 21-year-olds for an additional fee of 10 € per day.
Renting a car in Cyprus: tips from travelers
- It is important to carefully inspect the car and record all scratches and chips. It is better to take a photo of imperfections on the phone. So you protect yourself from fines for damage that has already been before you.
- Check the operation of all equipment: air conditioning, turn signals, headlights and electronics. You need to do this again so that you are not credited with a breakdown.
- Deal with the issue of fuel.Car rental companies solve it differently: some rent it with a full tank, others fill it only a quarter. Be sure to clarify this point and note in the lease agreement.
- Make sure you have enough money on your card to “freeze” the deposit.
- Driving in Cyprus is on the left. You can quickly get used to this. But just in case, Cypriots make red plates with numbers for rented cars so that drivers are aware that a non-local is driving.
- The terms of car insurance cease to apply if you drive onto a dirt road.
- When comparing different companies, do not be fooled by the low price. Often an inexpensive car means various hidden payments, additional payments for the simplest options. In addition, the condition of a cheap car can leave much to be desired.
How much does it cost to rent a car in Cyprus
Car rental prices in Cyprus start from 15 € per day. For this amount you can take a car with mechanics. A subcompact automatic costs 25 €. The middle class model will cost 35 €, the cost of an SUV is 60 €. A luxury convertible can be found for 90 €.
How to reduce the cost of car rental in Cyprus:
- the longer the lease, the cheaper the car;
- book a car with delivery to the airport and return in the same place – so you do not have to spend money on a taxi;
- take a small car – this will help reduce the cost of gasoline, which is very expensive in Cyprus;
- download a map of the cities where you plan to travel to your phone in advance – this way you will save on the Internet on the way.
The main advice on how to reduce the cost of renting a car in Cyprus is to book a car in advance. The earlier you rent a car, the cheaper it will be.In addition, you can choose a good class model for travel in the high season. And if you look for transport before the trip itself, there may no longer be worthy options.